We can only supply casts and not moulds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:35 am

Bruce Hirst has expressed the wish that we only supply casts and do not supply moulds.

This is unfortunate as we have made it very clear from the start that we will only consider items that are extras to Bruce's moulds and not in place of them.

Out of respect for Bruce a decision has been made to respect his wishes.

Fox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SABA Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:37 am

hi everyone...

I agree with the above statement, although there are pros and cons to having moulds avaliable, as the USA CMP seems to sell moulds.
I also respect Bruces wishes to not sell moulds.

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://saba.quickbb.net
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:38 am

'as the USA CMP seems to sell moulds'

Perhaps they didn't ask and then it was too late for Bruce to do anything without being seen as a spoilsport?

Sometimes being British and having good manners can have unfortunate consequenses.

I still think you were right to run it past him and that he had the right to express his opinion. After all selling moulds is how he feeds his family.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billywizuk

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 am

I don't want to rock the boat here but Surely you can sell moulds made from original pieces that are not in any way made from Bruce's own work? I cannot forsee any copyright infringement there at all. Rackham sells slotta bases akin to Citadels ones, the side angles are the only difference. If your moulds make pieces that compliment Hirst Arts pieces, whats the problem. I can't really see this being a "Bill Gates" issue on who can produce moulds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://billywiz-productions.mysite.orange.co.uk/
SABA Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:41 am

hi everyone...

I agree with you billywiz, and cannot see a real problem. When Bruce was contacted about the CMPUK he compellingly requested that we do not supply moulds.

This is a bit of a fine line as the casts that we supply will be used to make moulds by most members anyway. The fact that the CMP USA allows moulds to be supplied, at the discretion of the 'hub', is another odd comparison.

After contacting Bruce I spoke to the members that were involved in setting up the UKCMP and the consensus of opinion was that we would continue as the Hirst Arts Association UK CMP and respect Bruce's wishes.

If you don't have the facilities or the experience to make a mould yourself I am sure that there are a number of members who will make a custom mould for a fellow Association member. The Association cannot do this, but we cannot (and will not try to) prevent members from helping each other.

Thanks

Neil.
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:42 am

This is a problem that is causing a lot of 'concern' among the members who have contacted me.

I think we have reached a point where member's concerns have to be balanced with the negatives that would follow any decision to supply moulds.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scouseyuk

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:44 am

I'm happy that Bruce was consulted, which it seems didn't happen with his fellow countrymen, and I'm more than happy to respect his wishes. Further, I think Bruce should be consulted on any "line" that is considered for the ukcmp just in case he has something similar in the pipeline himself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:45 am

Hi Scousey,

This is one time where all the committee would have originally agreed with you.

The limitations put on us, no moulds etc. have led to other choices having to be made.

Having had the reasons put to me I have changed my postition and where initially I would have liked the status quo I now agree with the majority, who have expressed an opinion - I just wish they would post Surprised(

All the best,

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scouseyuk

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 am

I'm actually very much against the decision by SABA aka HAAUK to sell the CMPUK moulds, when in your own words, Bruce, "compellingly requested that we do not supply moulds." I trust there are reasons that are not being made clear to simple members like myself?

It seems that, Bruce Hirst, a man I have respect and admiration for, who's product has given me many, many hours of pleasure, a man who's very livelyhood is invested in the sale of his moulds, has made his feelings known; that he would rather the CMPUK did not sell moulds. I, for one, was rather proud to be British when it appeared his wishes were being respected by HAAUK....End of story...I believed.

I was looking forward to purchasing casts from the UKCMP, because there are going to be so many cool pieces, submitted by skilled and tallented individuals. Then, there was absolutely nothing stopping members like myself from making moulds of the casts bought from the HAAUK. If members were unable to follow the clear instructions on the Hirst Arts site to make their own moulds, we could have made some new instructions here.... For goodness sake, members might have even made moulds for other members, without broadcasting it.

So why is it important to be able to sell the moulds? ... Is it just to get
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scouseyuk

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 am

s it just to get even, because "it isn't fair" the Americans have gone ahead selling their cmp moulds seemingly without consent? Is it to do with raising funds for HAAUK? Or is it because lots of people have voiced concerns, behind closed doors, that they are too feckless to attempt to mix and pour some RTV silicone themselves?

None of these reasons are good enough to go against the wishes of Bruce Hirst, in my opinion. It doesn't matter if the moulds you produce are intended to suppliment those that Bruce sells, what matters is HE DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SELL MOULDS.

I had no idea when I requested membership of the HAAUK that everything would be done by committee, behind closed doors, and in view of recent decisions regarding the dropping of Hirst Arts from the group name and the subsequent refusal to abide by Bruce's wishes regarding the CMP, I have no desire to be associated with this group any longer.

Furthermore, I intend to place a copy of this post on the Hirstarts forum so it can be seen that I disassociate myself from what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 am

Hi Scousey,

I realise that you feel strongly about this and I am sorry that you do not agree with the majority, and feel that you have to leave SABA.

There have been two opinions expressed openly by members. One disagreeing with you and yours.

I personally think that making moulds for members without broadcasting it is somewhat questionable. Tell the truth and shame the devil has always been my way.

Bruce was made aware of the decision before it was made public. He,at least, respects our duty to respond to the wishes of our members.

All good wishes for the future and I hope that you can find a club that comes up to your standards.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 am

Hi again,

Just to clarify the situation.

We don't want to stop anyone making their own moulds from SABA masters.

The choice of buying a mould has added to what was originally on offer and taken nothing away.

All the best,

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SABA Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:36 am

Hi everyone......

i personally think slupping mould is a great idea, what about those members with disablity or DON have to time to make a mould?......

we all as members of SABA should help each other out as much as possiable to make this a GREAT Community of model makers.

Thanks

Neil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We can only supply casts and not moulds   

Back to top Go down

We can only supply casts and not moulds
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1