Tabs, Teeth and Ears

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Tabs, Teeth and Ears   Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:58 am

Whatever you call them they can be a real pain, especially with older moulds.

We've got 9 of the old Linka Moulds and one of the new. The old were bought on Ebay just before the prices went through the roof.

Seriously if it's a matter of 5 for an oldie or 7.40 for a new mould - get the new one from Terrascenic, they are much more flexible.

That said the oldies are quite useable as long as you use a bit of gumption (and get advice from someone who really knows what they are up too like we did).

This is how to do it -

1 - CLEAN the mould till you are sick and tired of washing and waiting for it to dry to reveal plaster residue.

2 - Treat yourelf to some GOOD mould release - we used Formula 5 Release Agent 400ml Can at 6.38 Inc VAT from Tiranti. Spray thoroughly and get it in all the corners - we found giving a little brush up with a stiff paintbrush helped.

3 - Cast and celebrate

It really does make a real difference to getting the little bs out in one piece.

The thing that really brought it home to us was a mould where I'd missed a bit or two - a residue of plaster stuck firmly to the mould - which needed washing all over again.

If you are used to HA moulds Linka is not so forgiving and needs a lot more practice to get a good cast - particularly leaving the casts for quite a bit longer to let the plaster reach a stronger state of cure.

With a bit of wangling Linka is compatible with HA -
8 linka brick rows = 1 HA block or 2 small brick
4 Linka stone rows = 1 HA block or 2 small brick rows

2 Linka thicknesses = 0.5 HA block or 1 small brick thicknesses or 1 wall builder thickness

The brickwork provides a very small texture and the stone would be a realistic small stone to fit in with Hirst.

Mix and match the way to go.....

All the best,

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
merlynhawk

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Tabs, Teeth and Ears   Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:20 am

Fox and I cast together so his comments go for me as well, but I have to say that I find the Linka a bit too fiddly for my taste. Though the general premise has great merit.

Hawk cat

Tabs, Teeth and Ears
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1