What do you use for masters?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: What do you use for masters?   Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm

I'll be using soapstone to carve masters. The basic reason is that I love the material for carving.

It's dense but can be carved with a normal craft knife and takes an incredible surface straight from the knife.

I started using it a few years back when a shipment of oil burners from India turned up with one broken. I just wondered if it would be good fun to carve. A few minature love spoon pendants and a cross for Chrysi's grandma (very Irish-American-Catholic Lady) and I was in love with the stuff.

Anyhow I'm prepared to be converted any suggestions?

FOX-UK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billywizuk

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you use for masters?   Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:34 pm

I have been using cast blocks as masters. I think I will try the soap stone though as using cast plaster has it's problems. I have to constantly dampen the plaster to get a clearer and more defined carve. If you look at some of the plaster Rackham scenery or just happen to read their magazine "Cry Havok" they use wet plaster and make some amazing pieces. I would like to make pieces following their theme but use blocks from my own mould. I can see it being quite diificult to design as they have a unique feel to all their models. Any ideas or am I being to adventurous? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://billywiz-productions.mysite.orange.co.uk/
SABA Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: What do you use for masters?   Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi everyone...

Although i can't carve masters as my eye site stops me (as i'm registered blind) i do have a suggestion that you use a modelling wax to make some sort of blank block to carve into but these blank blocks may need to be oversized or undersized to allow for expansion or shrinkage. I want to set up a mould that will produce these blank block as soon as I can get the mathematics all sorted out so that I know what size to have some master blank blocks CNC machined up. I may give these blank blocks to those people who are making blocks for The UK Community Mould Project for free. I just need to make the mould as well to make them. I hope this helps a little bit.

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://saba.quickbb.net
billywizuk

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you use for masters?   Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:49 am

Hi Guys. like I've said before, Itend to use (God Forbid!) Bruce's blocks as masters but I think I could easily create some masters myself from the slabs I cast for large wall sections. If you agree on a oversize set of dimensions then I could work to that and supply the odd bit as my carving is getting a lot better. I have recently made some Rackham type walls for a bit of building scenery and I think they are looking quite good. I also want to re-make my trapdoor and floor grills using the new techniques I am trying out to make them better. (Dont worry Fox you'll get some). Look at these efforts and let me know please as I am thinking of making moulds of these to create generic buildings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://billywiz-productions.mysite.orange.co.uk/
SABA Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: What do you use for masters?   Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:36 am

Hi everyone......

This looks great, billy. Please carry on carving.

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://saba.quickbb.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you use for masters?   

Back to top Go down

What do you use for masters?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1