Egyptian God Floor Tiles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
abaroth

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:32 pm

I don't know if you've seen Anubis on Bruce's forum yet, if not, it's here:

I will do a set of Egyptian Gods, if anyone's interested (no pun intended)

I currently have good pictures of:

Anubis
Bast(et)
Hathor
Horus
Isis
Khnum
Nephythis
Osiris
Ptah
Set
Sobek
Thoth

=12 off, 1" x 1" tiles = 1 complete mould

Any interest, or suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/abarothsworld/
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Not wanting to rock the boat but they'd be better as 2 high blocks to be used as glyphs - I think walking on the images of Gods wouldn't have made for a long life in Egypt.........

I know that 1inch high isn't purist Hirst , but it would allow better detail than the half inch ones in the official range.

There's plenty of hieroglyph sequenses and cartouches about that would be suitable. The later periods were the ones that used more stylised images suitable for engraving. The earlier periods were more intricately carved reliefs.

I'd leave one of those off and include Ra. Maat, Goddess of justice would be a good one to include as well.

Perhaps you could become a heretic and try 0.75wide x 1in high so that sequenses could be created to resemble a freize. That would allow for 16 tiles to include Apophis and Maahes.

If you miss off Ra and Apophis the Stargaters may hunt you down and feed you to the Unas!

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abaroth

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:35 pm

thanks fox,

I agree with you whole-heartedly - the Egyptians would not walk on their gods.

I've posted another Anubis, but engraved into a wall block - follow the link above to see it.

I've managed to find good images of Ra, Maat, Tefnut and Seshat, in addition to the aforementioned.

The only pics of Apophis (Apep) I can find, depicts a snake - did he ever appear as a human / snake hybrid?

Cant find any pictures of Maahes either, except showing a lion statue.

If I make them all fit on standard 1" x 1/2" x 1/2" wall blocks, they should still all fit on one mould Very Happy

There will probably be room for 21 on a single mould.
If anyone can find decent pics of Apophis and Maahes, that still leaves 3 - what do you suggest - Pharonic cartouches?
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi again,

Had a 2 hour session with the Revenue so haven't had a chance to have a shuftie (herself does the looking and she also does the accounts...............).

I have got a full set of heiroglyphs that I acquired from a 'hieroglyphic print machine' if those would help?

Saw the block up on USA Hirst Arts and was surprised that it would skim down to the half inch width - what do you think of 1x0.5x0.25 inch that way they would back onto a half block like some of Bruces stuff.

Suppose you realise I'm going to have to convert the Aten into a doorway now? mutter mutter mutter ................ I doubt whether we could get people doing early AND late period Egyptian Sad

The question is - how are you going to get it to do pillars - combining a 3D copier's rotation function and the pantograph would be 'fun' Razz - same diameter tube to mount the drawing linked to rotating pillar by auto cogs and timing chain - that was what the working model (without the pantograph extra, looked like to me.

Jon

PS - herself has only found snake and lion piccies but is still looking - she's sure she's got something somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billywizuk

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:40 pm

I didn't have much interest in the egyptian stuff until now. The floor tile looks great but I agree with fox-uk. Can statues be cast as two halves much like the pillars from the available moulds? You could make them in ranging sizes, again like the pillars, and they would be inkeeping with the range, but a hell of a lot better. Big feat to acheive but from what I have seen already it should be a "walk in the Park" for Abaroth Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://billywiz-productions.mysite.orange.co.uk/
abaroth

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Thanks for the continued support - it's really kept me going the last few days.

I've found a pic of Maahes, and Apophis as a man-snake, Heket (frog-headed goddess), and a pharonic mummy. Very Happy

If my maths is right, that makes 21, 1"x 1/2" tiles, which should - hopefully - all go onto a standard size mould.

@fox - for pillars, I wondered about engraving into some thin flexible material, and wrapping that around a core, to achieve the required diameter. (This has still to be tried, and any 'potentially useful material' suggestions would be appreciated)

@billy - I assume you mean like the figured columns in the Ramasseum? if not, please post some pics, or send them to me via my website (on links page)

p.s. if you forget the walking part, and let me ride though the park on a big quad-bike, you may have a deal. Wink
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi again,

How about 1mm styrene sheet - it's very heat sensitive and would drape over a half pillar with ease. It's used for vacuum forming and pretty cheap and easy to get hold of.

Thicker would be more difficult to bend but the main difficulty would be keeping the 1mm in one piece - it would need connections like a stencil - they could be taken out later.

I still think size for size on a copy carver would be the way to go for pillars - have you got the link I sent Neil?

Best of luck.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abaroth

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks Jon,

I did some vac-forming of styrene whilst I was at tech. I should be able to engrave into it, without going all the way through (hopefully). I certainly think it's worth a go.

Not received link from Neil yet, but there's time....

Here's a picture of the complete set of god tiles I intend to engrave with the pantograph.
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi - saw the glyphs on the HAUSA board -

Here's the links to the copy carvers - obviously much bigger than anything we would need...... I like the use of pram wheels

http://www.wood-carver.com

http://www.copycarver.com

I was thinking od drawer runners for the in/out - height adjustment for engraving by the dremel and a simple hinge for side to side.

with a rotational fixing for the pillar fixed by chain to the flat picture carrier it should work on 1:1

Perhaps I'm getting carried away?

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abaroth

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks Jon

You saw the glyphs, but you didn't say what you thought of them as a set - any comments? (please)

I like the machines in those links, but if you're gonna do something like that, why not go the full hog:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EBZ3QQVF3HY3SL2/?ALLSTEPS

I posted the picture link in my last post, but it didn't show up Sad

Now I can't even edit my posts !

Razzenfrackenfreewebs !

Tried cutting more tiles with pantograph today - they don't look too great - it needs more development, or possibly burning in favour of building one of the above Wink

Please feel free to go overboard - I'll meet you at the deep end
Very Happy

and now I can edit my posts again....
Back to top Go down
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:52 pm

Yes I did like them - I like composite stuff that simplifies design. Far tongue better than the Necron ones - the tolerances were just to tight IMHO. Razz

CNC Machine link - I didn't see any mention of springs or any other means of regulating the movement.

I'm not sure if I can put this in words but I'll try.

The movement (by screw or otherwise) must be opposed by a force.

When the pressure causing the movement is reversed the negative movement will then be as a result of the force and not due to the pressure itself.

By this if a screw is used the point of contact will always be the same 'side' of the thread.

I hope that makes sense?

Pantograph - I think what you may be experiencing with the pantograph is a variation of the same caused by unavoidable inacuracies in the construction - add tensioning springs! it may help reduce a slight wobble.

Opposing springs will (almost) counter balance each other but if on one side of the trammel will cause the bearing point to be constant. This should avoid the 'judder' when changing direction of movement.

I never got around the 'initial force' problem - i.e. the force applied at the start is greater than the force needed to continue movement.

I can't for the life of me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:52 pm

That darn thingie cut off about a quarter of my post!!!!!! snarglepoopoos.

Now you will never know how the 'I can't for the life of me' sentence ends!!!!!

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fox-uk
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:53 pm

You hider of light under bushels you!!!!

quote - "don't look too great"

Just seen the post on USAHA much smother than I expected from what you were saying on here.

A great improvement, on what is available at present, already.

Just for that I'm gonna make you drool!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110151938668&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk

Is that the dog's or what - pity they don't take right arms in payment.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abaroth

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 pm

lol! ,

Thanks Jon,

If I hadn't got some to look better, I wouldn't have posted any. (I discovered a couple of new tricks, which help)

Re: CNC machine - I do have the money, but have no idea where it is being sold, no idea what the reserve is, and no space to put one that big.

SERIOUSLY - if you are interested in doing some sort of deal on this machine (buy it jointly, you house it, I send you designs to cut - that sort of thing) then please log onto my website (on links page) and email me from bottom of my homepage - we got till about 10pm Sunday(today) to get it sorted.

Dave
Back to top Go down
billywizuk

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Yep Abaroth that's what I mean about the statues, then you could have full statues using both halves or wall reliefs using the facing half (depending on how you design it). That gives the cast more durability in it's use. The quad bike Idea sounds good as well mate as long as we can chase kids on skateboards, I never managed to get the hang of them like my son and I'm very jealous Twisted Evil

BillyWiz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://billywiz-productions.mysite.orange.co.uk/
abaroth

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 am

I am currently in the process of trying to work out how to get a similar Egyptian texture to Bruce's. Since he has expressed the wish that we do not sell moulds, I think it will just cause problems if we release blocks which are just a line image carved into his original work. I think I may have a solution, but still need to test it properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Egyptian God Floor Tiles   

Back to top Go down

Egyptian God Floor Tiles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1