Basic blocks for carving masters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Basic blocks for carving masters   Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:50 am

I know that every post I've seen about master casting relies on basic Hirst arts blocks re-carved. This also creates an unavoidable problem - the masters are smaller than the Hirst Arts standard and cause compatibliity problems due to undersize.

My sugestion is for a 'carvers set' of blocks that are oversize by 1 to 1.5mm in all dimentions. That allows masters to be sanded down to exact size for compatibility.

The other thing that would be very useful is an oversize long block say 75 to 100mm long that master blocks can be carved from and than cut off to the required length.

Cutting out the starting problem of undersize blocks will avoid the frustration of going through all the work to produce a block only to find that it doesn't fit...........

Just thoughts..........

Fox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SABA Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: Basic blocks for carving masters   Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:53 am

hi everyone...

I agree that we need a set of blocks that are slightly over sized, but some people have said to me that they would just like blocks from the station builder mould 300, as they said that they enjoy relief carving. Maybe we should do 2 sets (1) a standed size, (2) a slightly oversized set. What do you guys think about this?

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://saba.quickbb.net
fox-uk
Admin

Number of posts : 63

PostSubject: Re: Basic blocks for carving masters   Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:54 am

I think that supplying blocks from the station builder mould through HAAUK would be problematic.
Bruce's Legal stuff would seem to apply with a royalty payment applicable to the blocks made directly from his moulds.
Yep, I know everything will probably come out alright but this is one that could cause more problems than supplying moulds.
If Bruce did say no to supplying Station Builder castings that would probably be because it would cause problems with his defence of copyright on other castings.
This is a real minefield for him (and us) and it's going to take a bit of time to sort out.
I know that you (Neil) will agree with me that this is how Bruce feeds his family and he's got to be a bit defensive at times. I saw a post on his board today advertising a commercially produced compatible - that's like Lego providing space for Mega Bloks................

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SABA Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60

PostSubject: Re: Basic blocks for carving masters   Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:56 am

hi everyone...

I cant see the problem behind the idea of giving FREE casts from the station builder mould out of wax or plaster to carve, although i shall ring Bruce up on Monday his time to ask for promission. The reason i cant see a problem with this is because Bruce lets you sell 1000 USD worth of models made from his blocks, this should not be a problem as we are giving them out FREE.

Thanx

Neil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://saba.quickbb.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic blocks for carving masters   

Back to top Go down

Basic blocks for carving masters
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1